Saturday, July 5, 2008

Just arrived...





I just arrived on Tuesday night, July 1st. The flights went great, and all of my luggage arrived! Hooray! Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers for safe travel...

It was wonderful to be welcomed by Blake, Jeff and Michelle, and Jaclyn (the last three are the ones I'll be living with in Adjumani, N. Uganda). Blake stays at this wonderful family's home in Kampala called the Lorenzens. They basically adopted him after he arrived about 7 weeks ago now. I have been able to stay here and enjoy the cooler air of Kampala, warm showers, wonderful food, and a nice bed with a mosquito net :) (It is actually very green here - very tropical like Hawaii-It will get more dry as we head north). So far, I've been shopping with Jeff and Michelle, and Jaclyn, for supplies for up north, I've met some cool new friends that are also serving with WorldVenture, and also went for a walk with the Lorenzen's black lab, Jasper. I don't think it's very common to see someone walking a dog here - let alone a mzungu (white person), so it was great to see people stare and then smile when I said hello.

I am so grateful for having this beautiful place to make my transition into life in Uganda, but I am so looking forward to being with the Imago Dei Adjumani community and everyone I will come to call my neighbors in Adjumani. Blake, and a few others, and I will be heading up to Adjumani by the end of next week. First, we will be in Gulu where he is working with Restore International (an amazing non-profit you should check out online).

I named this blog hope, faith, and love because those are words that I hope to keep at the center of this journey. God is so faithful and I hope to glorify Him in all that I do here...and, not just in what I do - but, in who I am.

ps: I'll post some photos as soon as I figure out how to do it! ;)

4 comments:

Mrs. Bigler said...

Erin,
I am so glad you arrived safely and with all your stuff! Thank you so much for sending me your blog address, I will be checking in frequently.

Cyclo Treker said...

Erin,
Good to hear that you and your bags arrived safely. I am sure as a mzungu you do stand out with or without a dog. Ha!! I look forward to hearing more about your work in Uganda. Thanks for including me.
Continued good health...

Unknown said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!
I am SO HAPPY to see all of this! Oh, Erin...YES, you FINALLY made it!!! I will be keeping up with your wild and wonderful adventures, and holding you tightly in prayer as you make your way into this new life. Peace be with you... today and always! Sending LOVE,
Cindy

Unknown said...

So, how do you say Hello in Ugandan? I want to see you in some traditional garb for one of your photos, you mzungu, you.