Monday, August 4, 2008

My pet bat...

I'm sorry it has been a while since my last post. But, we have not had town power since I arrived in Adjumani. And, internet access is very off and on up there. So, I may need to say that I will just update my blog whenever it is possible around the 2 to 3 week mark. I just wanted to let you all know so that you don't think I'm just forgetting. :)

On to what's going on...Yes, I have a pet bat. Or, at least a little bat that lives between the screens above my window that I have chosen to call my pet...that is in the effort to not be too freaked out (or grossed out) by it. I haven't named him (or her) yet. Suggestions are most welcome.

Life in Adjumani in these last weeks has been great...I'm still getting my bearings and learning my way around. We ride our bikes a lot to get to places and to visit people - I love it! Adjumani really is beautiful especially as things are very green right now with it being the rainy season. My Madi language is coming along slowly, but well. Jaclyn, Rick, and Faye have been great teachers. It's fun to speak it with the people and then get a good laugh in return. We mzungus are quite entertaining. :)

In these last weeks we've had a few visitors come and stay with us at our place. Creighton Kearns, an elder from Imago Dei, and his family stayed with us for about five days. It was wonderful to have them. We also had a 20 yr old young woman named Sophie who is working up in S. Sudan at a Cornerstone orphanage. She was also delightful and was staying at our place for a much needed break. I've been with Rick and Faye as they've spent these last few weeks saying goodbye to many people and churches in Adjumani. We dedicated three chicken coops to churches that Rick constructed to three different churches. These will hopefully help them to generate income and also food for their community. A lot of the little chicks we've hatched at our home went to those new chicken coop projects.

I've gone along with Jaclyn as she goes to sit and share, do Bible study, and have language instruction with her good friend Beatrice in a place called Ciforo. That day it was Beatrice's birthday and so Jaclyn made chocolate mayonnaise cupcakes from scratch (most things we make at home are from scratch). Beatrice and the other ladies loved them!! We sang, laughed, praised, and prayed together...so beautiful.

We are in Kampala this week spending our final days with Rick and Faye before they leave us. It's been great to have really good sleep, a cool breeze, and constant electricity! But, sadly, not a lot of internet...Jeff, Michelle, Jaclyn, and I have begun discussions about our vision as a community from here...It will be the four of us now for a while - at least until December or early next year. We all are going to begin looking at each of our visions for what we feel God may be doing through us in Adjumani and in Magwi, Sudan. Jeff will also be training us in some aspects of community development. We are excited for what He has for us even if we don't have all the answers now...but, that just means we need to lean into Him even more as we move forward...never a bad thing, right? Please pray for us as we move forward into the projects, relationships, and directions that are ahead.

Well, my time on the internet is coming to a close here...I will post again when I have the chance. Please email me with questions!! There is so much to talk about...

I pray that all of you are doing well...love from me. And, now I have the software to resize photos and will get those on next. Thanks for your patience!!

2 comments:

Lina said...

Hi Erin! We love reading your blog. The Photos are great. Julia and I recommend Stella Luna for your pet bat. It's from a favorite childrens book:-) Love, Lisa

April said...

hey erin...love the photos. you sound like you're doing so well...i'm so glad!