Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving in Adjumani...

It was my first Thanksgiving away from home, and the first time that I've had any twinge of homesickness at all since arriving here. But, this was probably one of the sweetest Thanksgiving celebrations I've ever had. Don't get me wrong, being with my family on Thanksgiving is something I look forward to every year, and we always have a wonderful time together. But, cooking, dancing, being extremely silly, and even cleaning together was especially great this time around...Jaclyn and I spent several hours Wedsnesday evening preparing a few dishes...sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pies, and frosted sugar cookies. Then, Thursday morning Esther and Palima greeted us as usual, but this time Palima had two roosters with her whose fate was to be on our dinner table the same day. Jaclyn told me that I had to watch a chicken (a u - pronounced "ah-ooh" in the Madi language) get slaughtered at least once while I'm here. So, with a cup of coffee in hand I walked outside to where Esther was preparing to slaughter both roosters. I planted my feet and stared while she used a knife from the kitchen to slice each one's neck right off. It wasn't so bad until after the neck was off of the first one and somehow it still kept clucking. Esther promptly showed me the voicebox that was still working...sorry, I hope you aren't getting queezy! Esther kept her foot on both of them so they didn't do the, "chickens running around with their heads cut off" thing. So, I survived...without passing out. :)

The rest of the morning was filled with music, laughter, Esther and Palima watching us make some of the traditional Thanksgiving fare, and, oh yes, a lot of sweat! It's hot here...and, especially in a kitchen with three people using the oven.

We hosted seven guests from the Lahash team (www.lahash.net) who was serving with Amazing Grace Orphanage here in Adjumani. We had a wonderful time together especially with the rousing game of spoons we played after dinner (Jaclyn gave me a bloody finger;).

I'm so grateful to God for allowing me the opportunity to be here...it has been incredible in so many ways.

Some photos of the day...

3 comments:

Lina said...

I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving! We missed you at my house

sending thanks for you being you and for being where you are

love angela (and the rest of my family!!)

Dan Holcomb - Lahash said...

It's great to read your updates! May God bless your lives there in Adjumani. Greet all of the friends from the Lahash team for me!

lisa said...

Wow! I believe that is the sweetest picture of severed rooster heads I've ever seen!